Tuesday 11 August 2009

I thought I might melt

Yesterday, and today, have been warm to say the least. I think it hit 37 degrees yesterday. I chilled out by the pool yesterday morning and worked on my tan for a few hours. In the afternoon I walked into town, which turned out to be a bad idea as it was slightly farther than I thought and still very very hot. I was a little bit sweaty by the time I got to town and had to go and get an iced smoothie to cool down. I met up with Stuart (my cousin who has been living in Chiand Mai for a few months) and we went for lunch at a little Thai place that cooked a mean fried rice. After that we decided it was too hot to do anything so went back to where he was staying to chill out for a bit. Once it had cooled down and I had met his friend Jenna (it's her apartment that he is staying at, she is a student at the University here doing a teaching masters and also does Muay Thai, which is pretty hardcore in this weather!) we went out to wander round town. It was nice to see some bits of the town which were mainly Thai. Then we went and had tea and chocolate in a rather extravagant cake and chocolate shop. The chocolates were so so good, and I had a strawberry iced tea, which I have to say, as a non tea drinker was pretty good. After that we went to a bar in the backpacker area and met up with another of Stuart's friends for a few drinks. It was in a nice square with lots of other little bars and a band playing (who weren't actually that good) and pretty lights hanging from the trees. On the way to the main square to get a lift home I came across a band playing in a bar doing a cover of Linkin Park! of all bands. It was a bit odd, but I hung around to watch for a little bit. I got a tuk tuk back to the hostel. They are a more expensive form of travel, but I quite like them. And when I say more expensive, I mean a ride costs a pound, rather than 50p, which is how much it costs on the kind of taxi crossed with a bus but look kind of like large red pick up trucks with a roof over the back.

Anyway. Today I decided that as I'm going to be doign stuff everyday for about the next 2 weeks, and it was really hot again, I would just stay at the hostel by the pool and read for the afternoon. I had lunch at the hostel, which was ok. But not nearly as nice as any of the food I've had from stalls or little Thai restuarants. So I don't think I will be eating at hostel resturants again! This evening I've come in to town to meet up with Stuart again to get some food and then we are going to a jazz bar.
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment