Sunday 16 August 2009

I somehow stumbled across heaven

Apparently, if there's one thing the Thai's like, it's cake, lots and lots of cake. I appear to have some how stumbled across my own personal version of heaven. I am in the food hall section of a ridiculously large shopping mall. The shopping mall has a whole floor of designer label shops, I'm fairly certain every major label you can think of has it's own shop. There is another floor dedicated to not so stupidly priced fashion, but I haven't got there yet. This food hall, is incredible. I have never seen anything like it in england. There are so many different little restaurants, lots of Japanese and Indian, but I reckon I could probably find any kind of food I wanted. And the cake stalls... it's taking me a consierable amount of restraint from buying a piece of cake from pretty much every stand. Also, to top it all off. There is a New Zealand Natural stand. Which is my all time favourite milkshake place that I discovered in Australia. Perfect. Just perfect.

Today has been pretty great, especially after my near disaster yesterday. I discovered the first reason why I shouldn't really be allowed to travel on my own... I have absent minded moments where I forget things.
I was up all early and packed and on time to get my bus back to Bangkok. I got to the station and on my bus and we even left early. However, about 30 minutes into the journey I realised that I had stored my passport somewhere so safe in the guesthouse I had been staying at, that I had left it there.
I. Am. An. Idiot.
So. I had to get off the bus at the next main stop, and get a bus (well it was really more of a pick up truck with two benches and a roof on the back that they use as buses) back to Sukhothai, to go to the guest house and get my passport. The bus drivers and staff were ace. They got me all the right buses and made sure I was to and from the bus station in Sukhothai super quick. I managed to get on another bus to Bangkok at 1pm.

So I got to Bangkok and my hostel at about 8.30pm yesterday. I am not impressed with my hostel. I got a little too used to getting more than what I thought I was paying for in the smaller cities, huge double beds and my own bathroom. For the same amount as what I was paying in Sukhothai and for more than what I was paying in Chiang Mai, I get a room which resembles a box, with a bedside table, and a fan. Therefore, this morning I left as soon as I got up and I think I will go back tonight when I'm tired enough to sleep. It's quite a walk back from where I am so I don't think that will be a problem. I don't mind too much, I'm only there for tonight and then I'm off on my trip tomorrow.

So today I decided to go to the huge weekend market they have on the outskirts of Bangkok. I decided to walk to the nearest skytrain (basically a trainline on a track raised over the top of the buildings, it's very efficient), which turned out to be pretty far away. I adopted a French guy on the way who was going to the station but had no sense of direction. We had a nice chat on the way. He was going somewhere different in the city, I hope he managed to find it, he had a dreadful sense of direction.

The market was the biggest market I have ever seen. I walked around it all day and only came across things I'd seen already when I specifically decided to try and find something I'd seen before, which was really really hard. You could quite easily get lost in there. I've realised that I could have arrived on a Saturday or Sunday in Bangkok with nothing but the clothes on my back and gone to this market and just brought everything I needed. There was everything. Some of the clothes were so so nice. I exercised considerable restraint in not buying any clothes because I simply don't have room. Even though there was some really nice stuff. However, I did practice my haggling skills with a faux designer label bag stall.

I've also discovered that I get terrible food envy. All the time. Whenever I order something, when it arrives 9/10 times it's really really good, the other time pretty good, but I instantly want whatever the person next to me has. I want to try everything!

So now I'm back off in to heaven for more shopping and probably another look at some cake. Mmmm cake. And yay shopping.
xx

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jen - cake heaven is not something I would have imagined at all in Bangkok. Sounds like a good job you are leaving tomorrow - away from all that temptation. However, hope you had a little something delicious to compensate for your hard day yesterday. Alex home from newquay - took them 6 hrs to get back in all the traffic! She tried surfing but didn't find any natural talent lurking! They also went to Rick Stein's bistro in Padstow for lunch which she said was great - so quite a gourmet week. Dad had to cut Neil's lawn yesterday - very stressful! Mum and Dadx

    ReplyDelete