Thursday 10 September 2009

I went to the bridge over the river Kwai

I'm getting very irritated with slow internet and shit keyboards. I do find the signs that say 'fast internet! 2Mbs!' quite amusing though. Apparently they have gaming at the place I am now, but as it takes a minute just to load facebook I very much doubt you would get far in any game.

Anyway, I left Koh Tao yesterday. On the back of a moped again, much to my dismay. No catastrophies though and I arrived at the pier still on the bike. Always a bonus. I took a 2 hour boat to a town called Chumpon, where I had to wait an hour for the bus to take me to Bangkok. Quite bizarrely for Thai transport the bus arrived into Bangkok 2 hours early. This was annoying as it was 3am. Two guys I had been talking to on the bus also had time to kill so we hit up a bar on Khoa San.

At 5am I decided there would probably be buses to Kanchanaburi by the time I got to the bus station so got myself a taxi. Getting buses is so easy here, and so cheap. No problems getting a ticket when I got to the station and it only cost 77 baht, about 1.50 or something. Ace.

I got to Kanchanaburi for about 8.30 to the first real blue sky and sunshine I've seen in a few weeks. Therefore, after checking into a nice little hostel on the river I had a nap firstly in the deck chairs and then in one of the hammocks. It was quite relaxing.

This afternoon I took a walk to one of the main tourist attractions in the town. The bridge over the river Kwai. It was originally built in world war II by British, Australian other various POWs under awful conditions. I'm going to go to a museum tomorrow and get more details. The bridge was slightly further than I thought it would be from my hostel. Maybe 2 miles. I'm fairly certain that most of the locals thought I was crazy, Thai people don't walk anywhere. But I am slightly adjusted to the heat and I don't melt quite as much as I used to when I walk around. This evening seems quite pleasant actually.

I'm hoping the weather will be nice tomorrow morning so I can sunbathe a little before doing a last bit of sight seeing. Plans for tonight are to go and find somewhere that doesn't look like a brothel for a massage and then a trip to the night markets.
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment